I graduated from an ADN program in 2007 and started back to school in 2008 for my Bachelor's. I originally chose the ADN program because a. it was cheaper b. it was close to home c. I could start working as an RN sooner. I always planned on pursuing an advanced degree in Nursing and have always wanted to be an FNP. Like Rachel, I get lots of questions any time someone hears I am in school. A lot of times people think we are not quite RNs yet and I have to explain that, yes we already are, but that I want a higher degree.
I will not change jobs, I will not make more money, and I will not even get a new nametag at work. Having a Bachelor of Science in Nursing is one of my own personal goals, and it allows me to continue on with the rest of the graduate classes I need to take. I am doing this for me and for my family; more doors will open for me with each degree I obtain. For example, at MD Anderson in Houston they only hire BS-degreed RNs.
I started taking online BS classes at TWU while I was still living in San Diego. Since my husband and I weren't sure how long we would be out in California, I planned on taking as much of the BS-MS program that I could online. I would have received a raise of $1.50 per hour for having my BSN in California...that was additional motivation at the time! Now, I look forward to the additional career opportunities and possibilities that having my BS will bring.
Tuesday, March 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment