In one of my courses, we just discussed End-of-Life issues and the presence of family members during CPR...it really got me thinking about my own preferences-both as a nurse and as a daughter/sister/wife. This topic is something that we all need to be prepared for, especially as the baby-boomers age and technology continues to allow people to live longer.
After graduation in May, I will stay where I am at work and finish my MS. I know in California they pay you more if you have your BS, do most places do that here in Texas as well? My present employer does not and I was just curious.
Sunday, February 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Typically, no. Or at most, RNs with a BS will get $1/hour extra. I'm sure it's different in some institutions, but the BS is not reflected in salaries in Texas for the most part. What it does do is open up other job possibilities for you. However unless you move into mid-upper administration, you'll probably not make any more money than working on the floor/unit.
ReplyDeleteRebekah,
ReplyDeleteI am in the same class as you in which we discussed End-of-Life issues and family being present during CPR. This definitely gets you thinking about these issues. In the past I have always tried not to think about this stuff, but being a mommy makes you realize how important it is to make decisions like advanced directives and a living will. As far as the question does Texas pay more for a BSN, unfortunately not. You may be able to get a higher paying position with your BSN, but working the floor and having your BSN makes no difference in pay, usually. As Dr. Anderson said, you may get $1/hr more at the most. But we will definitely make more once we complete our MSN degree :) !!!